Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Macuser Macuser is offline

Default Are name-brand low-energy fluorescent "Green" bulbs any brighter than store brand?

As far as I know, they're ALL made in China, but I said I prefer the bulbs
be name brand because they tend to have a more attractive glow. GE and other
brands tend to be much warmer as far as I have seen. One bulb I have fires
up as a dim colored rose bulb, and then it brightens to be a full spectrum
bulb. It's pretty weird.

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."

Even the "name brand" ones are made in China, though some are better than
others. The spectrum is determined by the color temperature, not by the
brand that makes them. 2700K is incandescent lookalike, 3100K is often
referred to as soft white, occasionally you see 3500K which are a bit
cooler, and then 5500K-6000K is referred to as "daylight". A few companies
charge exorbitant prices for daylight fluorescents marketing them as some
sort of magical sunlight substitute, they're no different than the
daylight cfls you can buy at most hardware stores for a few dollars.