Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Electrical contact cleaning

Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:40:15 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

What tools and chemicals do you use to clean electrical contacts?

What do you use for buttons on things such as remote controls? (I
have a kitchen timer with buttons that have to be pressed several
times.)

What do you use on battery contacts? (I know to use white vinegar to
clean up leakage from alkaline battery leakage.)

Thank you in advance for all replies.

Radio Shack sells an electrical burnisher tool. That is what you need
for contacts. Avoid touching the contact with your hands (leaves oily
prints) or wear rubber gloves. Remote buttons may wear out over
time, then it's time to replace the remote with a new one.

I've resurrected many remote controls and membrane-type keypads and
keyboards, by taking them apart, ever-so-gently burnishing the black
spots with a clean pencil eraser, and washing with dish soap and
reassembling. (Getting the hand grease off the case and buttons makes
even a nasty remote look almost new.) Back when computer mice had balls,
I used to do the same thing on them- the dumpsters at work kept me
supplied for years, for multiple machines. The usual caveats about not
soaking electronic components apply, but a quick wash'n'rinse, followed
by a blow dry, seems to work okay. Hey, when fixing trash, you have
nothing to lose, right?

No, not really cost effective, but I hate 'universal' remotes, because
they never are. And I'm just a cheap (slightly OCD) SOB- I like the
brands on all the parts to match. Now that even 'name' brands outsource
production from year to year, even if you buy the same brand remote, it
doesn't always work completely.

--
aem sends...