Posted to alt.home.repair
Scott Scott is offline

Default Replacing A Water Heater

olddog wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message

Red Green wrote:

Scott wrote in :

I'm replacing my aging (34 year old) AO Smith 52-gal electric water
heater. I looked at the GE brand at Home Depot. But since my water
heater failed last night, I called a plumber, and he's installing a
50-gal Bradford White today ($360.00 + $250 installation) Is this a
pretty decent brand of water heater?

It has a 6-year warranty. They want another $170 to extend the waranty
to 12 years. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Scott

...(34 year old) ...

Is that a typo?! You sure you weren't like in the hospital once and to
avoid worrying you because it went out someone had it replaced?

Red Green,

Honest! We live in Central Minnesota. We moved into this house in 1977.
The
builder built the house in 1974 as his personal home. This is the water
heater
that came with the house. We haven't touched it. Never even drained the
sediment
from the bottom. It just kept going and going...until last night when the
thermostat stuck on, and the relief valve opened up.

And that's the whole story. Wow, this must be a world record

Scott

Do you have a water softener? I've heard those will lengthen the life of a
water heater.

Olddog

Olddog,

Yes, we have a water softener, because the water from our well contains organic iron.

Scott