Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default boiler, carbon monoxide leak

On 13 Dec, 15:56, poachedeggs wrote:
My friend's dad has had a plumber ascertain that he has a carbon
monoxide leak problem with his boiler. *The plumber is someone he's
employed for 20 years and so my friend's dad is loathe to emply
someone else. *The plumber isn't able to sort it out till January the
6th, and who knows hoe long it's been a leak. *My friend has been
feeling giddy on her visits. *It's not council property, but her dad
is in the middle of a depression since his wife's death, and of course
it's not a season to have the windows all open and maybe he's a bit
muddled by the leak.

Should we be concerned? *Should this job be done pretty sharpish? *My
friend isn't keen on visiting too soon because of how she felt on her
last visit. *If it's not too concerning, what things can be done in
the meantime?

I don't know diddly about this kind of thing, but it feels like
something that needs sorting out as a matter of urgency. *The only
time I've ever heard of carbon monoxide is when it's part of the
phrase 'carbon monoxide poisoning'.

Thanks in advance.

If the plumber hasn't switched off the boiler, then: (a) he's
criminally irresponsible, or (b) the leak isn't significant, or (c)
it's a con to sell a new boiler, as Andrew suggests -- there seems to
be a lot of "can't repair it, guv, you need a new one" around atm.

If dad's not prepared to switch off, open a window (if only in the
room the boiler is situated), or spend Xmas with his daughter, I
suggest that he gets a CO detector PDQ which should establish whether
there's any real danger.

Chris