Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
matthew maguire[_2_] matthew maguire[_2_] is offline

Default OT fuel system anti-freeze

Bill Marrs wrote:
So I'm doing my regular winter maintenance on the rolling stock. Check
anti-freeze, get the cold weather windshield washer fluid in, etc. We have
a stretch of cold for here weather coming up----mid teens to 20's----and it
got me motivated.

Part of the regimen has always been to toss in a jug of fuel system water
remover/anti-freeze. HEET or whatever is on sale.
Recently the powers that be mandated that we run a gas/ethanol blend year
round. Makes the corn farmers happy I guess. If I'm running 10% ethanol,
the fuel system anti-freeze is redundant--correct? AFAIK all the stuff is
is ethanol? Or is there something here that I'm not seeing?

Bill

We've had 10% since the late 70's. When fuel systems weren't tightly
sealed there were issues with cold and low usage vehicles so most folks
just got the regular or premium in the winter.

Since I discovered SeaFoam (non-alcohol), I can start the Toyota rat
plow truck once a month and use it for the short periods needed in the
winter. I used to have to drain the tank in the fall (lots of water in
the fuel no matter what the level or the fuel used).

Matt