Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Downlights - plasterboard cut outs

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"steveybar" wrote in message
I'm installing around x10 (Aurora - 12v - fire protected) Downlights in
my Kitchen's plasterboard ceiling.

The plasterboard's hole cut out diameter is going to be 85 mm for each
downlight - what is the best way to make these cut outs?

I have a fly-cutter with a big dish under it that catches all the
rubbish. Unlike a hole saw, you can set the diameter to exactly what you
want. However, fly cutters in power tools are potentially quite
dangerous. If you are only cutting plasterboard, a hand drill will be
adequate and will give you more control over the cut.

Colin Bignell

Really, Ive done them with a 'kitchen devil' knife.

They don't have to even be neat. the fitting covers well....

There we have a basic difference in philosophjy. I don't think that
something not being visible is a reason not to do it neatly.

Colin Bignell