Posted to alt.home.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Need to upgrade kitchen lighting - need more light

Pete C. wrote:
"Just a citizen . . ." wrote:
The two existing f-light fixtures in my kitchen each use two of the 24-inch
bulbs - my 58-year-old baby boomer eyes need more light in the kitchen.

There are cool white, soft white and a bunch of other bulb types - what's
going to give me the most light with the least impact on power draw? Should
I just go with whatever bulb offers the most lumens?

I am considering replacing the two existing fixtures with two fixtures
that'd each use two of the 48-inch bulbs. How much more light should I
expect with the 48-inch tubes - will I see 2X the light I'm getting with the
24-inch tubes?

Is there a particular type of f-light (ballast, etc.) that will give me the
most light with the least power draw? How much more power draw with the
48-inch tubes - 2X?

Right now, if I'm running a few burners on the stove, and running the
dishwasher, and running the external exhaust fan on the stove-top, with the
kitchen lights on, sometimes the microwave kicking off will dim the ceiling
f-lights - so I'm trying to minimize any additional power draw.

Thanks.

As the others said, fixtures with the 4' T8 tubes will give a lot more
light, however remember that if the fixture positioning is bad, brighter
lights will only make shadows and visibility worse.

That's a very good point. Under-cabinet lighting can work wonders, you
might look into that.