Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mechanical Magic Mechanical Magic is offline

Default HSM looking for scrap metal. Are truck driveshafts solid?

On Dec 10, 10:23*am, rodjava wrote:
I'm a homeshop machinist looking for cheap scrap metal.

I need some 3" dimeter material for a project.

Are truck drive shafts solid? And would the shafts be machineable on a
SouthBend 10" lathe using high speed steel bits?

Thanks in advance.

Rod
San Francisco

Rod,
Across the Bay in San Leandro, is ALCO.
http://www.alcometals.com/
I wouldn't call them cheap, but better than new prices. Ask about
cutting charges before you commit.

If you need some slabs cut off the stock, I'm in Pleasanton, but my
little 4x6 takes a while, but gets the job done.

Dave J.