Posted to alt.home.repair
Ernie Willson Ernie Willson is offline

Default The unwanted pole

Wrap it (near the ground) with two turns of detonation cord, fit a
proper blasting cap, stand back and push the plunger..(Just kidding). :^)

EJ in NJ

James Sweet wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:08:58 -0800, James Sweet
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 23:39:35 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

Nil wrote:

I have a 4-foot metal post next to my driveway, installed by a
previous owner, that once supported a basketball hoop. It's a fairly
thin-walled tube about 4 inches in diameter, embedded in a huge block
of concrete, buried in the lawn. I've tried excavating around the
block, but it will be a really big hassle to get out of the ground.
And so, the pole remained there for many years.

I'd be just as happy cutting the pole off at ground level. If I can
cut if off flush with the concrete, it will hardly be visible and it
won't interfere with the mower. I don't want any of the metal to
stick up.

My question is, what common tool can I use to cut this thing? I
wouldn't enjoy doing it manually with a hacksaw, and anyway, I
don't think I could get close enough to the ground. Could I cut it
fairly close, then grind the rest down with something?
The best tool is a reciprocating saw with a bimetal blade for cutting
metal. Sawzall is a popular brand. You can rent one, but they'll
probably make you buy a blade. Maybe your neighbor will loan you
his....

If it were mine, I would:
* Drill a hole through the pipe.
* Put a long metal rod, like a large machine screw, through the hole
so it sticks out on both sides.
* Use a bumper jack to lift the whole thing out of the ground.
* Whale away at the concrete with a sledge until the pieces are small
enough to put in the trash.

There are lots of other ways to do this:
* Bend the pipe over near the ground, then use a long 2x4 as a lever
to lift the whole thing.
* Run a come-along between the pole and a tree. Crank it down and it
should shift. You'll probably have to dig on the tree side of the
concrete first.
* Pull it out with a 4-wheel-drive vehicle in extra-low gear. Be
careful--I've seen videos where everything comes loose and once and
flies into the back of the truck (or the neighbor's house). On second
thought, don't do this one.
Git a nylon snatch-strap from a 4X4 shop. Use it instead of a chain.
If it really is that difficult, then tug on the mess with a vehicle.

Chains and a come-along can will kill you if they sling at the wrong
time. The strap will be better for safety.

The nylon strap stretches and stores even more potential energy,
given all the things that can go wrong, I don't recommend this
approach at all .

Let a chain or cable hit you up side the head. Understand the
difference? I mentioned tug and nylon straps are safer.

Which is why I say I don't recommend this approach at all. Pulling
something stubborn out with a vehicle is just asking for trouble,
there's lots of safer ways.