Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rising Damp at the Top Of a Hill?

The Scullster:

Hi all

Looks like I may be in for a tussle with the insurance company!
They are trying to avoid paying for a drying operation on the grounds
that
they believe damp in our concrete floor is caused by a damaged dpm.

The question is, can we still get rising damp through a concrete floor
due
to a compromised dpm, when we live at the top of a hill?
Does this damp require high levels of ground water, or does it just
need
contact with damp soil?
Damp is showing between our plastic underlay and the top of the
concrete
floor slab.

TIA

Phil

+++++

Most rising damp diagnoses are incorrect, so such a diagnosis is cause
for more investigation..
Is there a specific reason why you want this dried out rather than
letting it dry by itself?
I cant think how a damaged dpm would affect an insurance claim.
Now why you'd need to go to the insurance co for what is in most cases
simple and cheap to remedy.

NT