Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The unwanted pole

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 21:34:08 +0000 (UTC), Nil
wrote:

I have a 4-foot metal post next to my driveway, installed by a previous
owner, that once supported a basketball hoop. It's a fairly thin-walled
tube about 4 inches in diameter, embedded in a huge block of concrete,
buried in the lawn. I've tried excavating around the block, but it will
be a really big hassle to get out of the ground. And so, the pole
remained there for many years.

I'd be just as happy cutting the pole off at ground level. If I can cut
if off flush with the concrete, it will hardly be visible and it won't
interfere with the mower. I don't want any of the metal to stick up.

My question is, what common tool can I use to cut this thing? I
wouldn't enjoy doing it manually with a hacksaw, and anyway, I don't
think I could get close enough to the ground. Could I cut it fairly
close, then grind the rest down with something?

Any suggestions?

Angle grinder would make quick work of it. Personally, I'd remove the
concrete, replace with topsoil and seed.