Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Part P and fixed kitchen appliances

We are planning to 'move' our kitchen by converting a built-in garage into a
kitchen (we now have a sparate detached garage).

This will involve a lot of electrics - including new radial circuits for
cooker etc. I intend to get someone who can provide Part-P certification to
do this because, although I could install something which is perfectly safe
by any reasonable standards, I'm not fully up to speed with 17th Edition
stuff, and what I did may not comply!

The question is, what will the electrician actually test and sign off in
respect of wiring for fixed appliances? For example, in the case of cooker
wiring, will he simply test as far as the wall outlet, leaving others -
possibly me - to make the final connection of the aplliance, or would he be
unable to sign it off until the appliance is physically in place and until
he personally has connected it? If the latter, what would he actually be
testing which couldn't be tested without the appliance being there?

Obviously with ordinary 13A socket outlets, he can only test as far as the
socket - and will have no control over what is subsequently plugged into it.
Is fixed appliance wiring any different and, if so, why?

I ask because the people who may supply and install the kitchen equipment
are saying that I will need to get the electrician back to connect the
appliances. Are they right?
--
Cheers,
Roger