Posted to uk.d-i-y
Man at B&Q Man at B&Q is offline

Default Battery Capacity

On Dec 12, 9:40*am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Rod" wrote in message

robert wrote:

Also when one question is answered, the next one is raised. And the
next one would be why do so many one shot batteries give only a
fraction of their rated capacity in real life apps. Some questions are
better left unasked.

NT
Often I would suspect because some devices cease working before the
terminal voltage used in the capacity calculations is reached.

I have recently had a set of Energiser Lithium AA cells in a camera. They
lasted *far* longer than 'ordinary' alkalines which I usually use. Maybe
they are sufficiently good to be worth paying their hefty premium? But I
do wonder how much is simply loss of voltage rather than actual energy
content.

You should be using NiMh rechargeable in most cameras.
The cameras have high discharge currents and alkalines can't keep it up.

You need to put new batteries in your reading glasses. He said
"Lithium".

The problem in cameras is the high peak currents that can be required.
These can no longer be satisfied without excessive voltage drop as the
batteries discharge. A neat solution (which has been proposed if not
actually implemented by some manufacturers) is to use an intermediate
supercapacitor that can be charged at a lower average current and thus
get longer battery life. Much the same principle as charging a
capacitor to power the flash.

MBQ