Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default DIY English

Tim Downie wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:22:50 +0000, T i m wrote:

Misspellings, typo's poor use of punctuation or any such things are
Er, "typos". No apostrophe, unless you're a grocer :-)
And a comma after "typos" please, to separate the list items
correctly.

typo's is a contraction, I think it should have an apostrophe just
like MOT's.

But they're both wrong. ;-)

In signwriting, it's sometimes argued that an apostrophe is used after an
abbreviation when all uppercase font is being used. MOT is a recognised
contraction, MOTS isn't and could be confused with something else. MOT'S
does at least clarify things in that case. Normally however, abbreviations
are in uppercase and the "s" in lowercase so there is no confusion. As in
CDs, PCs etc..

Tim

If they care that much about confusion, write "MOT tests" (or "MOT
Tests"). Otherwise my weight is firmly behind MOTs. And typos.

--
Rod

onset.