Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Replacing A Water Heater

Scott wrote:
I'm replacing my aging (34 year old) AO Smith 52-gal electric water heater.
I looked at the GE brand at Home Depot. But since my water heater failed
last night, I called a plumber, and he's installing a 50-gal Bradford White
today ($360.00 + $250 installation) Is this a pretty decent brand of water
heater?

It has a 6-year warranty. They want another $170 to extend the waranty to
12 years. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Scott

34 YEARS!!!!

That sounds like a world record for a water heater tank.

Can anyone here top that?

The price for the heater is right in line with what the big box stores
charge for 50 gallon electric water heaters.

If the installation price includes delivery and removal/disposal of the
old heater I'd say the price isn't too bad if you live in a high rent
part of the country.

Too bad you can't just handle the installation yourself with a buddy or
BIL, it's really not that big a project.

Re the extended warranty, I never go for them, there always seems to be
a "catch" if you have to use them.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia