hex

Default Vintage Powermatic lathes

Jim Wilson wrote in message nk.net...
What are the differences between the Powermatic 45 and Powermatic 90
lathes? Here's what I've gleaned so far from the net. Much of the '45
info came from a pdf manual I found at oldwwmachines.com or.net. Is any
of it wrong? If you have a manual or can otherwise can help me fill in
the blanks, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Jim

Mostly different in weight and with different threads on the
spindles. Some 45's came with stepped pulleys giving discrete speeds,
others had variable speed. I think the 90's were only variable
speed -- but I could be wrong on that. I also believe the banjo's are
interchangable; certainly the tool rests interchange. Not sure about
the tailstocks, but they might interchange since swing over bed is the
same (I think).

The fine folks at PM will send you manuals if you want/need them -- I
called them a few months back and the wait was short, the conversation
pleasant and the (free) manuals appeared in my mailbox a few days
later. If you happen to have model and serial numbers they will
even send you manuals of the appropriate vintage and options.

hex
-30-