Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] chrisj.doran@proemail.co.uk is offline

Default Notice of High Gas Bill...

On 11 Dec, 21:59, PCPaul wrote:
Having switched to a capped gas supplier six months back, I was surprised
to get a 'Notice of High Bill' letter from them - especially since I have
given them 'real' meter readings every time.

It turned out on investigation that their meter reader had been round and
read the initial '0' as a '1' - adding 10,000 cubic thingies to the total..

I have one meter where the 100s wheel has been mismounted so that it's
always between two digits. I read it low, but last time the meter
reader read it high. I dread the time when we both send in readings on
the same day and they think it's wrapped round and I've consumed
99,899 units!

Based on how many we actually used, I estimate that would have been an
extra £30,000 for this quarter. I'm quite glad they have a sanity check
built in to their system!

I was under the impression that the sanity check was done in their
PDAs because on one occasion my (EDF) leccy meter reader entered the
number then went back and read it again. I assumed he got a "don't be
silly" message, but I didn't ask.

Chris