Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Battery Capacity

robert wrote:
Rod wrote:
robert wrote:

Also when one question is answered, the next one is raised. And the
next one would be why do so many one shot batteries give only a
fraction of their rated capacity in real life apps. Some questions are
better left unasked.

NT
Often I would suspect because some devices cease working before the
terminal voltage used in the capacity calculations is reached.

I have recently had a set of Energiser Lithium AA cells in a camera.
They lasted *far* longer than 'ordinary' alkalines which I usually
use. Maybe they are sufficiently good to be worth paying their hefty
premium? But I do wonder how much is simply loss of voltage rather
than actual energy content.

Quite - if the camera or device's battery life detector can't be set up
for the different discharge characteristics of the available batteries
then there is a good chance that the device will close down while there
is usable energy in the battery.

However looking at the Ultimate Lithium discharge curves - they seem
flatter than alkalines and thus shouldnt suffer from early close down.

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/L91ULT_EU.pdf

Thanks.

--
Rod