charlie b

Default Which Simple-to-learn dovetail jig for Newb ?

Larry Bud wrote:

snip

I'm thinking of buying a smaller router just for the jig. I have the
dewalt 621 and it's a bit heavy to do some hand work. Usually this
router just sits in my table.

Huh? The DW 621 is probably the lightest plunge router out there.
For that matter it's one of the lightest routers of any kind other
than a trim router.

The original poster's criteria

"What I am looking for is a jig that's reasonably easy to use,(good
documentation or an instructional video would be cool), and can cut
enough different types of joints so that I won't need to immediately
buy _another_one."

The "different types of joints" part sort of rules out the
Keller and its type. That puts him in the Akeda/Leigh jigs
price range
OR
a router table with fence positioning system and postioning
templates - like the Incra and JoinTech. With them you don't
need special bits and collars AND you've got a versatile
fence system.

Because the jigs require additional expense to get a good
range of joint sizes, the total cost of the fence positioning
systems are in the same total price range.

charlie b