Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Electricity meter running backwards!!!

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 04:24:31 -0800, Tournifreak wrote:

On Dec 11, 11:10Â*am, wrote:
Hi All,

We had a new elec bill yesterday.
Their estimated was way off the actual reading. On further
investigation our meter is now running backwards!! We dont have solar
power or any other elecricity generating means.

About 18 months ago we had a new consumer unit fitted with new tails to
the meter from the main incoming fuse.

I wondered whether this had been wired incorrectly. Looking at the
cabling at the bottom of the meter left to right the 4 wires run as
follows;
(from consumer unit) +ve, -ve, (from main fuse) -ve, +ve. Is this
correct? Anybody any ideas what is going on? Would mis wiring a meter
make it run backwards even?

They are coming to have a look in a fortnight but just wondered whether
anybody has any ideas?
Its very wierd...

It's been wired up wrong.

Should be:
Live (In)
Neutral (In)
Neutral (Out)
Live (out)

But, I'm amazed it runs backwards. Almost all manufacturers have a
mechanism to prevent that happening, as a deterrent against fraud.

Jon.

I agree with the connection order.