Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alang Alang is offline

Default DIY English

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 05:20:04 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

On Dec 10, 7:41*pm, Alang wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:24:32 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

wrote:
Alang wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:54:33 +0000, Rod
wrote:

TheOldFellow wrote:
I note an exasperating trend on this list, and on t'internet in
general, to personal reinvention of English spelling and grammar.
For
instance: the Whitworth spellings for the various flavours of 'your
and you're' (as opposed to the UNF or Metric, of course) are as
follows:

'You're' means 'you are', 'your' never ever means that.
'Your' is a possessive pronoun, and can only be used when you mean
that something belongs to 'you'.

Do try and get it right folks, as the grating sounds of the
crossed-threads in my brain are getting irritating.

R.

Didn't you miss yaw and yore?

And who can ignore the "upto" neologism? And its close brethren -
inappropriate use of into, onto and so on.

tow the line.
principle and principal
there and their
I confess to misusing licence and license. Can never recall which is
which so I adopt the american usage and use either interchangeably

But.
cod philosophy
cod latin

why cod?

Always puzzled me.
I have asked a number of graduates in english over the years and none
can tell me. One had *Phd and was a rabid pedant over the use of
english and even he couldn't tell me.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-cod2.htm

HTH

A more likely explanation but needs some confirmation

Also ties in with the kid/cod link since I've always known it as
kidology.

I never realised the connection between kidding and cod but it could
fit.