Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Why does a faucet slam off after running.

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 22:18:29 -0800 (PST), Ron
wrote:

On Dec 7, 12:58*am, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 07:30:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 5, 1:23*am, Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 20:11:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I have a cold line on one sink and a hot line in another sink. *After
the water runs for a few seconds, the water "slams" off with a loud
bang. *I can then keep the valve where it is (not turn it back to the
original off position) and turn it again in the on direction and it is
fine. *The problem just happens from the initial off position to on.
They are old fixtures and one of them started after I tried to repair
a leak. *I changed everything from the shutoff valve, flexible copper
tubing, the seat and valve. *It does not appear to be house plumbing
problem as fixtures upstream and downstream work fine. *Any clues?
Thanks.

When I've had that sort of problem it's been with old fixtures that
use screwed on rubber valve seals. *The screw loosens and when you
first turn it on you get water, but then water gets behind the rubber
seal and forces it back down QUICKLY which makes the slam and shuts
off the water. *When you turn it even farther on you are taking the
slack out of the loose screw so it works ok then. *After you shut it
off you start the cycle over again.

Hey I see that you flagged your message for deletion. *Keep it, that
solved the problem for me and I am sure will help others in the
future. *That was the trick, the washer on the bottom of the valve has
a screw through it that was loose. *Problem solved! *Thanks a ton!

I set that years ago. *I'm not sure it matters anyway, I think Google
and others ignore it and save all messages.

Not true. Google does not save those posts, and on more than one
occasion, I've been "short changed" while searching groups for a
answer/solution, because the answer/ solution was given, but the
person responding didn't quote the text.

I OFTEN search this and other groups before asking a question.

I've found answers/solutions dating back to 1994 in some cases.

Well, I turned it off so now the messages will live forever.