Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default HSM looking for scrap metal. Are truck driveshafts solid?

He said his parts were 3" dia. by 2"( I assume that means 2" thick).
So, he just needs a piece of 2" thick plate that's bigger than 3" X
3" square.

If he was a blacksmith, he could just take any piece of steel that is 15
cu inch or larger and forge it to 3" Dia. X 2" thick, couldn't he?

FWIW, I usually pick up drops at our blacksmith club's annual
conference. We have a number of vendors who allow us to dumpster dive
for the event, for free. We usually have a few tons of stuff from
them and I (usually) get a good price while supporting the club.

Pete Stanaitis

SteveB wrote:

"spaco" wrote in message

YOu might be better off looking for a piece of 2" thick plate that you can
turn to 3" dia.

Pete Stanaitis

Can you help me with the math? When I try, I get a headache.

Steve