Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker DLT Steve Barker DLT is offline

Default Water heaters

leaving the pilot going is not only ok, it's recommended. it helps keep the
burner plenum and stack dry.

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
Can you turn off the water to a water heater and not turn off the
pilot. I have a water heater where you have to physically light the
pilot and it is a pain to restart when we get back from vacations
(especially when we get back in during the night). So, I was wondering,
any reason I can't turn off the water supply to the filled heater (so if
it goes bad the damage is limited) while keeping the pilot on?