Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electrical code question

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:00:23 -0600, "Kevin"
wrote:

Is it ok to wire into a ceiling light fixture (regular old bulb screw-in
fixture) a circuit of outlets?

It's on a 20A circuit and using all 12ga wire.

Visually..
breaker box -- light switch -- bulb socket -- outlets (to plug in shop
lights).

So when I flip the switch, I can turn on/off the outlets.

You can use just about any electrically-approved box to make your
connections. But, there is a limit and there are various size boxes.
Lighting typically uses 14 g wire, but 12 g is fine to use also. The
cirsuit should always be off when any electrical box is exposed (cover
removed).