Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heaters

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:44:22 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

Can you turn off the water to a water heater and not turn off the
pilot. I have a water heater where you have to physically light the
pilot and it is a pain to restart when we get back from vacations
(especially when we get back in during the night). So, I was wondering,
any reason I can't turn off the water supply to the filled heater (so if
it goes bad the damage is limited) while keeping the pilot on?

Yes you can - just set the gas valve to the "away" or "pilot"
position. On a Unitrol gas valve there is a pilot position on the gas
control and a "vacation" setting on the thermostat (which is for all
intents and purposes "off".