Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TwoGuns TwoGuns is offline

Default HSM looking for scrap metal. Are truck driveshafts solid?

On Dec 10, 12:23*pm, rodjava wrote:
I'm a homeshop machinist looking for cheap scrap metal.

I need some 3" dimeter material for a project.

Are truck drive shafts solid? And would the shafts be machineable on a
SouthBend 10" lathe using high speed steel bits?

Thanks in advance.

Rod
San Francisco

Truck driveshafts are not solid. However the drive axles on large
trucks (think Peterbilt, Mack, Kenworth) are solid. Any truck repair
shop usually has several that have been twisted and have been replaced
and tossed on their scrap pile. Some off the road trucks might have
axles approaching three inches in diameter. It has been close to
twenty years since I got out of the trucking business so my recall of
dimensions may not be that accurate.

Dennis