Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Hi-def (was RCD's - why 30mA?)

Andy Champ wrote:
Rod wrote:
Their stealing of our time and convenience is a crime against an
innocent consumer. I have no pirate (or otherwise dodgy) DVDs. But I
am jolly tempted to if that means I don't have to decide to watch
something several minutes ahead of time just so that they can force my
machine to play those clips/warnings. And it seems especially bad when
it is a multi-DVD series...

Trouble is there are people out there making a business of copying DVDs
- and this stuff slows them down. The MPAA reckon that they do lose
sales through illegal copies, and that it's worth them paying people to
try to stop it. And that it's worth putting scary stuff on the front of
the disc to remind you that if you copy it, you *are* breaking the law -
even if you don't agree with the law, you're still breaking it.

Don't forget, movies are expensive to make, and if they don't make
profit they'll stop making them.

Yes, it's a PITA. Just like the locks on my doors.

Andy

I know! But does it really slow them down more than marginally? Sitting
here waiting until House M.D. Season 4 DVD gets to a sensible price
increases the temptation to buy a pirate vesion of some sort. (The legit
version seems to be going up again.) It already feels a bit rich
charging the same for the truncated season (16 episodes) as they did for
the full seasons (24 episodes).

--
Rod

onset.