Posted to alt.home.repair
Brent Bolin Brent Bolin is offline

Default Furnace questions

On Dec 10, 11:10*am, Joe wrote:
On Dec 10, 10:48*am, Brent Bolin wrote:

American Standard Freedom 80 single stage.

Just had the company out this morning to do maintenance on my furnace
(cleaning and checking). *I have a contract with this company.

The tech informed me the ignitor is ohming out high. *Current at 26
should be between 17-20

Should this be replaced? *Really don't want the furnace to be out in
the middle of February.

If it should is it something a DIY can do. *The contract company will
do it, but charge $205.00 just for parts (that's with a discount).
This part appears to be kinda like a glow plug. *I could see it glow
when he was showing me. *Couldn't really tell where the part was
actually located. *Is it a plug and play part?

Your input would be appreciated.

Poor connections on the typical service company supplied ohmmeter can
give a high reading. If it glows bright and works right now, use the
time to acquire a spare. The changeout isn't all that difficult as you
will find in this NG archives. Repairclinic.com (maybe, haven't
checked) and other online sources will have civilized prices. Good luck

Civilized.... I think I'd call it rape. Anyway thanks all, will take
your advice and purchase myself. Will probably pull the skins off so
I can see where the igniter actually is.

Thanks

btb