George E. Cawthon

Default Getting old oil out of wood, help!

ddinc wrote:

I am refinishing a 50 year old salad bowl. It is carved out of
a solid piece of wood. The end grain runs along the length of it.

Where the finish wore off in the end grain area, the grain is filled with
olive oil. The salad bowl finish looks great, but will not dry over the
contaminated end grains.

I have soaked it in soapy water, and the oil comes off. I wait till it
drys(the water)
and it seems like it is ready to apply the finish, but the old oils seep out
again.

What can I use to clean this well enough to allow the finish to dry?

Do what people who refinish old oily military rifles stock
do. Spray it with oven cleaner, let set for 10 minutes,
wash with hot water, and dry. You may need to repeat three
times. I've got old stocks don't show any oil surfacing
after several years that were once as oil soaked and dirt
filled as you could imagine.

In my experience, washing with soapy water, heating and
wiping, and covering in fullers earth or other oil absorbent
are either a pain in the butt or just don't work well. Good
luck.