Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Home wiring: is 47V between neutral and ground OK?

On Dec 9, 6:37*pm, Bill wrote:
Hi All,

* *I just installed a ceiling light in my kitchen, and now I measure a
47V (AC) difference between the light's ground wire and its neutral
wire. *Is this normal, or could the ground wire be floating?

Thank you,

-Bill

If its a DVM then yes you see that often. In fact, I would be more
worried if I saw 0 volts between neutral and ground when using a
DVM... because that meant that somehow my neutral got grounded and now
my ground is a load carrier (a situation you never want to see). Get
a low-impedance analog VOM meter and re-test it, you will see a much
lower or zero volts. Try a neon tester, it probably wont light. The
47V with a DVM is most likely induction current easily detected by the
DVM which has a very high impedance able to detect small current.