Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heaters

On Dec 10, 11:05�am, KC wrote:
On Dec 10, 9:41�am, N8N wrote:

I came home to a 45 degree house (I think I had the
thermostat set at 55) if it'd been below freezing, and I hadn't shut
the water off, it coulda been ugly. �

nate

I drained my pipes and the water in the toilet tank, but didn't think
about the water in the toilet bowl. �It had about 1 1/2" of ice in it
- luckily it didn't freeze solid and break the thing. �That was a
lesson learned the 'easy' way.

KC

theres tons of stuff that might be damaged in our home if it freezes,
water lines, sewer traps, water lines with low spots, bottled water,
chemicals and such in bottles, what about water trapped in
dishwashers, washing machines, and fridge ice makers? just to name a
few.........

worrying too much about stuff like this can lead to ill health and
early death, and then none of these trivial matters mean squat.

read where a homeowner turned his water off before leaving on a trip.
good safety move huh?

well some kids lit a small fire on the fellows wood porch, a neighbor
noticed the fire and attempted to put it out with the homeowners
garden hose, which obviously didnt work since all water was off

the fire got out of hand causing 50 grand in damages... that could of
easily been prevented if the homowner hadnt stressed about leaving his
home for the day and turning off the water.

you cant be perfectly safe