Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water heaters

On Dec 10, 7:44�am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
� � Can you turn off the water to a water heater and not turn off the
pilot. I have a water heater where you have to physically light the
pilot and it is a pain to restart when we get back from vacations
(especially when we get back in during the night). So, I was wondering,
any reason I can't turn off the water supply to the filled heater (so if
it goes bad the damage is limited) while keeping the pilot on?

that should be safe, we routinely go on vacation and leave everything
on.

the chance of a tank leak with zero pressure should be low, and the
pilot so small a heat source it cant damage anything.

might be a good idea to firstr shut off water, then open both hot and
cold valves say in a sink a little to take pressure off everything,
then close those valves.

heck why worry if worse comes to worse homeowners insurane will pay
the damages.

while your away a kid could torch your home as a prank

a electrical malfunction could start a fire and level your home.

in the winter your furnace could fail and freeze everything, cracking
toilets and everything with a trap.

or someone could vandalize your home.

cant prevent everything, and worry to much can lead to health troubles
and early death.