Lyle B. Harwood

Default Help - Deck flashing and inspections

In article , Jim Austin
wrote:

€ I am selling my house, and the buyer's inspector is indicating that
€ there is no flashing between the deck and the house. Is this something
€ that I will need to repair? From my internet scanning, flashing between
€ the deck and house became a requirement by CABO 703.8 since 1995. Since
€ the house was built in 1991, I should not be required to fix this, correct?

Code has nothing to do with it.

A buyer's inspector is not a code inspector, for exactly this reason.
He would have to determine when a given system was built or installed
(deck, hot water heater, electrical panel, door) and what the code was
at that time in that jurisdiction (city, county, etc.)

There's no way anyone can do that, and even if there were, there's no
way anyone can tell when a given component was built or installed.

Buyer's inspectors, furthermore, aren't trained for code inspections.
It's an entirely different issue, with entirely different standards. If
they were, they'd be working for the relevant agency. Buyer's
inspectors are home inspectors, not code inspectors.

Buyer's inspectors inspect for whether or not a given component is
installed correctly and functioning as it was designed to function.

A deck with no flashing between it and the house wasn't installed
correctly, and will cause other problems. That's why the inspector
called it out.

It needs to be fixed. Whether you fix it or cut the price because of it
is up to you. You have a few options, and your real estate agent can
explain them to you.

Best of luck, and let us know how it comes out!

--
Lyle B. Harwood, President
Phoenix Homes, Inc.