Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
RFI-EMI-GUY RFI-EMI-GUY is offline

Default Home wiring: is 47V between neutral and ground OK?

Bill wrote:
Hi All,

I just installed a ceiling light in my kitchen, and now I measure a
47V (AC) difference between the light's ground wire and its neutral
wire. Is this normal, or could the ground wire be floating?

Thank you,

-Bill

If you are using a digital voltmeter, you could be seeing an open
circuit on the ground wire at the fixture. However, that being said, if
you have an open neutral at the breaker box or service entrance, you
have a serious condition warranting that you call for the utility
service or an electrician immediately. Fire and death by electrocution
are possibilities. Do any appliances or lights behave as the voltage is
too high or too low? If so, you have a serious problem.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P