Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Do it herself?

nightjar cpb@ wrote:
"Don" wrote in message
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ed-at-DIY.html

Well SWMBO is welcome to any future 'jobs', I could never understand the
Pidgeon English instructions anyhow ;-)

What the writer of the article fails to understand is that any male who was
brought up on Meccano, quickly discovered that following the instructions
invariably produced something that did not work. so you had to decide what
the finished article should look like and wing it after that. It was not
until James May mentioned it in a programme, that I discovered that was a
deliberate policy by the inventor, to make us think about what we were
building.

Really? I never realised that...

I used to spend hours building stuff from Meccano, but very little of it
I did exactly according to the plans (glad I didn't bother now!) More
often it would be a case of use a documented project as inspiration for
something and then make it up as I went along.

--
Cheers,

John.