Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Do it herself?

On 9 Dec, 19:21, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Don" wrote in message

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news.../3686594/Women...

Well SWMBO is welcome to any future 'jobs', I could never understand the
Pidgeon English instructions anyhow ;-)

What the writer of the article fails to understand is that any male who was
brought up on Meccano, quickly discovered that following the instructions
invariably produced something that did not work. so you had to decide what
the finished article should look like and wing it after that. It was not
until James May mentioned it in a programme, that I discovered that was a
deliberate policy by the inventor, to make us think about what we were
building.

Colin Bignell

I'll back that one up - I could never get the Meccano instructions to
produce anything that worked. I suspect that in fact this was
deliberate in that it sorted the men from the boys - the inventors and
future DIY'ers from the rest.

To classify DIY and kit assembly in the same category is just not
realistic and shows the ignorance of the journalist and the Ikea
manager. But then this is the sort of c**p that papers thrive on -
no one ever really thinks things out properly.

Rob