Don Phillips

Default Help - Deck flashing and inspections

"Jim Austin" wrote in message
I am selling my house, and the buyer's inspector is indicating that
there is no flashing between the deck and the house. Is this something
that I will need to repair? From my internet scanning, flashing between
the deck and house became a requirement by CABO 703.8 since 1995. Since
the house was built in 1991, I should not be required to fix this,

correct?

Here is the pertinent info:
House constructed in 1991 in North Carolina.
House has Abitibi hardboard siding.
Deck boards run perpindicular to the house.

The deck floor surface is about 1 foot above ground.

It is entirely possible that the deck is free standing and not attached
to the house, but I don't remember and I am unable to look at the
present time.

I would contact your building department to see what code was in effect in
1991, was the house permitted and inspected, and if so, will the building
official back you up with a letter. If it met code in 1991 and you did not
alter the house, the item above would not need to be corrected.

However, if the deck was added after 1991, then it could fall under a
different code. The building department should have a record of the deck
permit and inspections someplace on file and asking for a letter should be
just as easy.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E.
Worthington Engineering, Inc.