Roy

Default Log Loading Ramp for trailer??

Well I went the unconventional method and load my logs on my flatbed
fro the side. I have 2 short ramps than come dwon from the side of the
trailer to the ground. They are detachable. I have a wich mounted o
the opposite side opf the trailer.
I pull the trailer up alongside the logs or roll the logs along the
trailer, layout a sling made of cable, that is attached to the same
side of the trailer as the ramps are. Each end of this cable is
attached on the tailer side, about 8 feet apart. The I lay out this
looped sling on the ground, and roll a long onto it, or use a log
lifter to raise up one end and place the cablesling under the log,,
and attach the wiches cable to the central point of this sling, turn
on the winch and roll the log up the ramps and onto the trailers bed.
ONce its on the bed, roll it to the far side, and repeat the process.
Before I added the winch I used to use a small tractor for the pulling
power, easier than winching them the length of the trailer and having
to get the end up on the trailer. Even with a tilt bed trailer, each
log loaded makes it that much harder to load the next and then get the
bed back down again.

Of course this will only work if you have a flat bed, unless you make
some kind of setup to allow it to roll up and over fenders or a low
bedrail, but its still doable. Ramps don;t have to be long either.

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:37:54 -0400, Terry King
wrote:

x-Question: Has anyone seen a good design for a "log loading ramp"
x-to go on the back of a trailer, when winching good sized logs
x-out in the woods?? I just built a "wood gathering trailer",
x-and the winch mount I built fits on the rear Class 4 hitch on
x-my GMC Yukon, and has a trailer hitch on IT so I can winch onto
x-the trailer. It's already MUCH easier than loading wood up at the
x-pickup bed level, which I've done for years. BUT there's that
x-"Get one end of the log up onto the trailer" part. I once
x-saw a photo of a drop-on ramp that would 'help' the log up
x-and was moveable right-to-left for different logs in a load.
x-But I don't remember it well...
x-
x-Anyone seen or built one, before I try to invent one??
x-It needs to have somewhat of a Vee shape, to guide a log end
x-up and on... I think. Large round tubing is what I got, other
x-steel I can get. Cut, weld, and like that.
x-
x-I'll post a pointer to the whole deal when I get it all working.
x-Which better be soon.

--
Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address
http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com

Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects.
Regards
Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye
Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever.
Remove nospam from email address