Posted to uk.d-i-y
NoSpam NoSpam is offline

Default Wiki - Appliance repair hazards

Graham. wrote:
* Picture tube may explode if the unprotected thin rear of the tube is
broken. (Breaking the nipple is the standard disposal method.) The
large vacuum in the tube causes implosion, and the broken glass can
bounce back out explosively.

I'm not at all happy with the idea that breaking the area near the
EHT connector is safe, in fact IMHO I can't think of a more
dangerous way to destroy a tube.

The standard way of destroying the vacuum is to crack the *neck*
with a small hammer ot the handle or a long screwdriver.
It is easy to do because the glass is thin at this point, and the
narrow neck ensures that the air rushes in comparatively
slowly with a hiss rather than Earth-shattering KABOOM

When I were a lad the standard method was to crush the glass nipple in
the centre of the connector. I don't think anybody is recommending
breaking anything near the EHT connector.