Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default McGyver resource: The Circular File

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:14:58 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques graciously gifted us with:

(...)
No, I quoted it with my reply, didn't I?

Yup. That you did.

I'm curious about the whipped cream can. What are your thoughts on
it? Are you saving a source of nitrous oxide for someone, or?!?

Nah silly. Use your imagination!

1) Rivet fins on, sand, prime and paint; it's a Rocket Ship.

DANGER, Will Robinson! Can is pressurized!

That's what 1/16" drill bits are for. They tend to equilibrate differentials.
I doubt the emptied can has much in the way of pressure, by definition.

(...)

8) Snip off the top and bottom of two cans and TIG them end - to - end.

Yeah, that's extremely good TIG practice.

Heck, the seam at that point is ~0.064" thick.
Hardly a 'razorblade' trick.

Invert one bottom and TIG it back on to the body of the can to make a
spherical reflector. Amaze your friends with the gain of your new cantenna.

Creamy goodness for your WiFi connection? Hmm...
Izzat anything like a Pringles Yagi?

Sorta Kinda. I see that it wouldn't necessarily work for 2.4 GHz due to
it's small diameter. Be OK for 5 GHz though. Hmmm.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/elepal/antenna2calc.php

Wull, that 'splains that. Carry on! (Carrion?)

There's a joke in there somewhere....

--Winston