Keith R. Williams

Default Help - Deck flashing and inspections

In article ,
says...
I am selling my house, and the buyer's inspector is indicating that
there is no flashing between the deck and the house. Is this something
that I will need to repair? From my internet scanning, flashing between
the deck and house became a requirement by CABO 703.8 since 1995. Since
the house was built in 1991, I should not be required to fix this, correct?

I'd be suspicious, perhaps because I was burned by this. My deck,
house rim-joist, and sill all rotted out about seven years ago. It was
a mess, but not *terribly* costly. It cost me about ~$300 for a
contractor to come out and fix the rim-joist and sill. I repaired
(rebuilt actually) the deck myself. That was another few hundred
dollars. It could have been *much* worse.

Here is the pertinent info:
House constructed in 1991 in North Carolina.

It's possible the flashing isn't required by code, but it really should
be there. It can (likely will) cause a lot of damage otherwise. BTDT!

House has Abitibi hardboard siding.
Deck boards run perpindicular to the house.

The deck floor surface is about 1 foot above ground.

You're likely to trap a lot of moisture under the deck and against the
house. My deck is about the same height.

It is entirely possible that the deck is free standing and not attached
to the house, but I don't remember and I am unable to look at the
present time.

I rebuilt mine as free-standing. I didn't want to go through the angst
of having the sliding glass door almost falling into the basement
again! Of course if it's free-standing there won't be any flashing,
since it's not connected.

--
Keith