Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Christmas lights

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

if you overload the string it will in fact melt. If the then uninsulated
wires touch, they will spark and burn in half. I doubt any real damage
could result. Aluminum foil is your friend in those fuse sockets. Been
there done that dozens of times.

And I bet your daddy used to put pennies under blown screw base fuses
dozens of times too.

"Doubt" doesn't imply certainty, Steve. You can set a house on fire with
a 9 volt battery and a little bit of steel wool across its terminals.

And, since stuff posted to newsgroups lives nearly forever, why risk
someone suing your ass off because an accident happened and they claim
it happened because they followed your (bab) advice.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

PS: Would you please satisfy my curious mind and let me know what the
"DLT" after your name signifies?

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"bob" wrote in message
scommunications...

I have a strand(severeal really) of those outside icicle
Christmas lights, and the plug in has 2 3 amp fuses in
them. I have replaced both fuses, and still doesn't work.
Is there a real harm in just replacing the plug in with a
standard non-fused plug-in? Will it really heat up and
catch fire???? just wondering Thanks in advance