Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Default optical pattern tracers

What's that Lassie? You say that Joseph Gwinn fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:08:34 -0500:

Many of the tracers that I've seen on the WWW, can trace a solid
silhouette.

How does that work?

I can think of a number of ways. One way has a 9-sensor grid and
detects edges, but I suspect that given the expense per sensor channel
back then, it wasn't done that way.

They may have servoed to a constant output (not zero) from the head, but
this requires knowing something about the orientation of the edge, which
is circular.

Ill think about it.

I think it would work similar to the line following rotating head, but
look for max contrast, not max balance, between a pair of photo cells.

--

Dan H.