Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
Andy Champ Andy Champ is offline

Default Storing wind-generated energy as gravitational potential energy?

Neon John wrote:

Never heard the term. I love this common language that separates us. :-)

bund (n)

1. An embankment or dike, especially in India.
2. A street running along a harbor or waterway, especially in the Far East.

ETYMOLOGY: Hindi band, from Persian, from Middle Persian, from Avestan
*banda-, from Old Iranian.

berm (n)

1a. A narrow ledge or shelf, as along the top or bottom of a slope.
b. Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, & West Virginia The shoulder of a road.
c. A raised bank or path, especially the bank of a canal opposite the
towpath.

2. A terrace formed by wave action along the backshore of a beach.

3. A mound or bank of earth, used especially as a barrier or to provide
insulation.

4. A ledge between the parapet and the moat in a fortification.

ETYMOLOGY: French berme, from Dutch berm, from Middle Dutch bærm, berme.

(source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language:
Fourth Edition. 2000.)

So - we use Hindi, and you use French. What was that about a common
language?

Andy