Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterMcC PeterMcC is offline

Default Wooden flooring??

"Tim S" wrote in message
Vernon coughed up some electrons that declared:

Er indoors has decided she doesn't like the carpet in the living room,
and
she wants a nice wooden floor, not laminate and not engineered wood, but
solid oak floor.
I said ok lets think about it do some research and do it after Xmas, no
whilst I was out at the weekend (queuing at the local tip) she has ripped
up the old carpet and underlay.
As a result the living room now has what look like lino tiles about 6-8
inches square, presumably fitted on top of original concrete floor when
the house was built (1968).
Can we fit solid oak flooring on top of these tiles? I have looked for
information on the web, and most sites say no, (well no to concrete, as
you have to nail the boards down) but some, including one video (wickes),
said yes so long as the floor is glued together, and I use an underlay.
She does not want an engineered wood floor, which as far as I can see
would be the ideal solution, as I assume it could be glued to the tiles
without too many issues.

The flooring she has seen and likes is sold in Costco, 300-1200mm planks
130mm wide 18mm thick. But I am unable to find the manufacturer to ask
for
advice, they are labelled up as Forester.

Can anyone help me out, either with a contact number for the manufacturer
or with definitive fitting advice.

thanks

Vernon

I've heard of fully floating engineered wood

Done that, works fine - make sure it can move. Don't get any points at which
the wood is hard up against an edge - the floor shifts slightly and the bond
between the planks can break as one part is free to move but the other part
hits a bit of wall and gets left behind.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,