Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Snowthrower recommendations

On Dec 8, 8:03*am, wrote:
On 07 Dec 2008 22:28:07 GMT, rochacha
wrote:

wrote :

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 14:56:20 -0600, Steve Kraus
wrote:

I'm looking for a snowthrower recommendation.

We're in the Chicago area so we get dumped on now and then but the
driveway isn't very long and we have used a Toro single-stage (the old
kind with the straight rubber flappers and rubber vanes to direct the
discharge) for years but it's just getting too temperamental. *I'm
sure a single stage with the newer curved rubber blades and central
discharge chute will be fine in terms of actually doing the job.

Here are the shopping considerations:

Electric start is a must.

Greatly prefer a model that has convenient system to re-aim the chute
so one doesn't to bend down to turn it with each pass. *The old Toro
with the vanes had that but most current single stage chute models
that I've seen do not. *Toro "Power Clear" with "Quick Shoot" seems
pretty good in that regard.

Would prefer 4-stroke-cycle but a 2-stroke is not ruled out since
we've dealt with gas/oil mixture for many years.

I know Toro has their 221QE (2-stroke) and 421QE (4-stroke) which fit
the bill but I want to know what else is available as the latter is
around $800 which is a huge price for a 21" single stage snow thrower!
What else should I look at?

Ariens are excellent. You'll see a lot of them being used in
commercial applications because they work well, and live a long time.

A 4-stroke 2 stage Ariens of about 8 HP and 24 inch wide will run
around $800 or so. Take reasonable care of it and you'll still be
using it in 25 or 30 years.

Ariens is a great product. *We've used the brand for years. *Does an
excellent job with heavy Lake snows.
We bought ours from a local "lawnmower" shop. *They give excellent service
if we need it. (as opposed to home depot).

You'll also find that the local lawnmower shop's price is the same or
better than Home Depot - and the money stays in your community!- Hide quoted text -

And if it has a defect or breaks HD will do nothing.