Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.tv.broadcasting,misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,rec.video.cable-tv
RickMerrill RickMerrill is offline

Default Need help - no signal from TV antenna in the attic

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
RickMerrill wrote:
As another poster said first, a 4-way unamplified splitter just will not
work with antenna, althought it will work with cable.

A typical cable drop is + 10 dB at the tap where the home connectds to
the CATV system. A four way splitter adds a -7 dB loos, beinging the
signal to +3 dB, to cover the loss in the drop & distribution wiring.
If your OTA signals are +7 dB or higher, an unamplifed splitter works
just fine. If not, it can be anything from a little snow, to an
unuasble picture.

This leads to a
solution for the OP: get an amplified splitter OR connect just 1 tv,
which I think they did.

You're right, of course. I was in my country-mouse mode and not thinking
of the city-mouse who gets a much stronger signal!