Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default lighted switch help

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
ml wrote:
not really familiar with this stuff, thought it would be simple but i
got stuck

I have a preamp (low power). It gets 12v and I have a power supply
also 12v(DC)
I bought a lighted toggle/rocker switch from Radio Shack.
my goal was to just have the switch turn on/off the amp and light in
the on position.
The switch has 3 legs, labeled:
Gnd:

Connect to the -12 Volt output of your power supply, and the -12 Volt
lead of the preamp. it is also one side of the lamp.

Load:

This is the switched power for the lamp, and to the + 12Volt input on
your preamp.

Power:

This goes to your +12 Volts.

sounds simple, but seems something is not quite right
I assumed gnd was ok to tie everything to
so i have gnd from preamp gnd from pwr supply and i connected to gnd
on the switch
i assumed load was supposed to goto the pos on preamp
and power whent to pos of the supply
blew fuse i think power also switches to gnd or something i
dunno
anyone have experience with this type of switch from RS and how to hook
it up?

What is the rated power output of the power supply? If it's a small one
only feeding a pre-amp it likely can't drive the 5 watt or so lamp in the
switch. Which could take over 500mA at switch on. A better choice would be
an LED - only about 20mA or so.

Generally car stuff like this isn't too concerned about efficiency.

Did you look at the link? There is no way the lamp is 5 watts. It
would melt the switch's body. It should be 10 to 50 mA. Think 'Grain
of Wheat' lamp.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.