Larry Bud

Default Which Simple-to-learn dovetail jig for Newb ?

I've been looking at jigs from Rockler, Keller, and Leigh. I'm willing to
spend money for a tool that will make me smile everytime I use it, but of
course, I don't want to over-spend, but I'm afraid of buying a more limited
jig, finding out that it doesn't do something that I want, and having to go
buy the expensive one in the first place!

I'm a relative newbie (got the shop together about 1 year ago) and
ended up buying the Leigh, and couldn't be happier with it.

The manual is quite lengthy, but that's just because you can do so
much with this jig. But if you want to just cut some half blind
dovetails, you can learn it in a couple of hours. The whole thing
made complete sense to me, and I wouldn't trade it for any other jig.
It took perhaps an hour to put together, and the very first test cut I
made was PERFECT. I'd like to make a quick reference chart for setup
on common cuts, laminate them, and post it on the wall, but when I got
back in the shop after taking the summer off, the first thing I made
was 4 drawers, and only had to take about 20 minutes to refresh my
memory on how to do things.

I'm thinking of buying a smaller router just for the jig. I have the
dewalt 621 and it's a bit heavy to do some hand work. Usually this
router just sits in my table.